Movies, movies, more movies and some other stuff...

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Where are the great American actors?

Why does it seem like all the really good actors nowadays are all English or Australian? I'm talking strictly about English-speaking actors of our generation - in the 20s-40s age group. I've thought about this for a while, but it really hit me after I recently saw 3:10 to Yuma and Notes on a Scandal. Christian Bale, Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett - all fantastic actors and all English or Australian. And I can name so many others - Hugh Jackman, Jude Law, Heath Ledger, Clive Owen, Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Ewan MacGregor, Rachel Griffiths - just off the top of my head. But when I try to think of really consistently good young American actors, the only ones that come to mind are Edward Norton & Ryan Gosling. Except Ryan Gosling is Canadian. Ah well.

But definitely check out Notes on a Scandal, if you haven't already seen it. Wonderful acting, direction & writing.

1 comment:

solargun said...

what about chris Bzzzzzzzttt!! tucker? he's a master thespian if i ever saw one...