
Saturday we caught My Kid Could Paint That, a pretty good documentary about a 4-year old girl named Marla Olmstead who was touted as a modern art prodigy who then became the subject of controversy when the authenticity of her art came into question. The best part of the movie is the interview w/ New York Times Art Critic Michael Kimmelman. His insights on contemporary art are fascinating. After the movie, we had a nice dinner at a cute SoHo place called Bistro Les Amis.

Sunday we grabbed a sandwich for an early dinner at Grey Dog Coffee and then walked up to Union Sq. to see Michael Clayton, which was very good. I think it might have been better w/o George Clooney, but he's still good in it. Tom Wilkinson & Tilda Swinton are great, tho.
I've also watched a few movies at home over the past few weeks - some good, some bad - I won't go over all of them. The Namesake was not as good as the wonderful book, that I totally love & would highly recommend (along with her previous book of short stories, The Interpreter of Maladies), but the movie does catch the essence of the novel in a few key scenes & so is still worth watching. I do have to mention Music & Lyrics & The Holiday, altho both were pretty lame. Lyrics is worth watching the 1st 10 minutes of just to see Hugh Grant in a hilarious Wham-esque '80s pop video w/ big hair & tight pants. Holiday has no such redemptive qualities. It's ironic b/c a large sub-plot of the movie is about the wonderful screenwriting during the golden age of movies yet the writing sucks. And it's directed by the writer. That's just sad. Ok, the movie does have one good thing in its favor - Jude Law. He's pretty :)
Running With Scissors was pretty good but not fantastic. It did make me want to read the book, tho - I'll have to add that to my list. Stranger Than Fiction was much better than I expected. Ken & I are usually totally annoyed by Will Ferrell, but he's very good in it.
TAXMAN!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment