I like the show Scrubs, but Ken and I have noticed a disturbing trend on it. On every episode there are almost always some slurs about Asians. What's up with that? It's particularly sad coming from a show that has minorities in 2 of its lead roles. The one Asian actor currently on the show as the semi-regular character "Rex", seems to be there just to be ridiculed. His website talks about how he attended the 2007 AZN Asian Excellence Awards and also links to the Angry Asian Man website, so he's either totally oblivious or he's ignoring it b/c it's a good gig. That's just so disappointing. And I don't think I've ever even heard of anyone complaining about it in the Asian community. We need to stand up for ourselves more! I may even write to the producers.
And what ever happened with the Rosie O'Donnell controversy about her "ching-chong" comment? That died down so fast. She should've really been on hot coals for that one, but she got off so easy. I used to like her but that really annoyed me.
Movies, movies, more movies and some other stuff...
Thursday, June 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
There is a renewed "Yellow Peril" paranoia growing in America. Increasingly, China's emerging global dominance is seen as a threat to US supremacy. And this fear is beginning to permeate America's cultural fabric, and notably (and most reprehensibly) in recent television shows, commercials, and movies. And most ironic is that this media stream is coming directly out of the California, where there is a very large population of Asian Americans. I fear it's only going to get increasingly worse for Asian Americans over the near term. We need a "Anti-Defamation League" equivalent to represent Asian Americans' interests, and what better place to start than in Hollywood, California, media machine of the world?
Post a Comment