
Yun Joo, Marc, Ken & I saw William Gibson reading from his book Spook Country & Martha Wainwright performing from her album i know you're married but i've got feelings too in Union Sq. last nite as part of Barnes & Noble's Upstairs at the Square series that pairs writers & musicians together. Above is a pic of Ken getting Gibson's inscription on our books. Gibson & Wainwright were both pretty funny & entertaining and Wainwright's performances were very strong, lovely & haunting.

3 comments:
I wonder why they chose to pair the two of them up; because they're Canadian? Whatever the reason it sounds like a good afternoon. I really liked Spook Country, probably more than Pattern Recognition. How did you find it?
I thought it was a somewhat odd pairing. They definitely didn't know each other prior to meeting that night. I think the whole "writers & musicians" mash up is an artificial attempt to force new ideas and expose audiences to artists they wouldn't necessarily be interested in on their own. And I guess it worked in my case. Martha Wainwright was certainly not on my radar at all, but I liked her.
I haven't read Spook Country or Pattern Recognition yet, so I can't comment on either. I'm a fan of Neuromancer and his other science fiction work.
Strange that they didn't have a Q&A Session after, even a short one. I was wondering what Martha Wainwright listened to for fun, or what William Gibson read in his spare time.
Post a Comment